In 2011, MFT is working harder than ever to inspire you, and we have come up with something we think you'll really enjoy. Our Design Team Creative Challenge is a new monthly feature, where we challenge our design team to explore their creative side using a specific theme, product or technique. This month, "It's a Wrap" Be sure to check the MFT Blog for a list of all the designers who have creative gift solutions for you today!
I did up a sweet little gift card holder. I've done mitten shapes in the past BUT this time I was inspired by the darling, new PI-Stocking Girl. So for today's challenge I made a stocking. Not only are these great gift card holders, they also serve double duty and can be re-purposed as an ornament. I always add a large loop of twine to the corner.
These are really easy to make, I'll show you how.
- draw and cut a template on copy paper.
- Make sure you are making the template wide enough to hold your gift card. I just placed mine on top to give me an idea of how wide it needed to be.
- double up two pieces of felt (I used the beautifu MFT felt-a cherry on top) and lay the template on top. Hold (you can pin it if you need to) in place while you cut around the edge. I cut just a bit larger than the template, to ensure extra room for the gift card after sewing.
- stitch around the edge of the stocking with a sewing machine, about a 1/4 of an inch from the edge.
- Using a blanket stitch in a contrasting color of crochet thread, stitch around the edge of the sewn stocking, using the machine stitched as a guide.
7.Embellish the finished felt stocking any way you'd like. I love adding ribbon and a tag.
Kim's Blog has the line up for this month's challenge. Go over there and Check it out.
did you know.....
click the photos to find the die-namics in the boutique