Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mixed Media....Dare to Dream

I started the first page in my art journal. I got messy with some mixed media products and some MFT goodies.  It all came together after stumbling across Mona Pendleton's new Mixed Media color challenge.

 If you remember, I loved her Cr84Fun challenges and was even on the design team for a short time before she ended those challenges. Little did we all know at the time....she had something BIG in the works. It was her line of stamps, Die-namics, and Mix-ables with My Favorite Things. 


Mona is uber talented! I love everything she creates. So I'm super excited about this new challenge blog she has started. You can check it out HERE
And here is the first challenge-pink, silver, and black. Seemed easy enough. 
I started my page, by first tinting some white acrylic paint with my Bubble Gum re-inker from MFT. I think I added about 5-6 drops to a glob of the white paint. I mixed it up and then brushed some onto my page. It gave a soft, pretty color for my backdrop. 


 Next I decided to try out some of the new stencils MFT just released. This one is the Square Motif.  I used some modeling paste to add some texture. I found it interesting that the modeling past picked up some of the color from my background and turned pink when it dried. I wanted it white, but like how it ended up with a tone-on-tone texture for my page. A happy accident! 

I did not use silver, but I pulled in the grey color by cutting some SU Basic Grey cs with the Large Leaf-filled Flourish. I softened the cardstock by brushing on a thin layer of white Gesso. 


I cut a handful of butterflies from Lisa Johnson's new Blissful Butterflies Die-namics. The small ones were cut from designer paper and I brushed on some Gesso and then sponged on some Bubblegum ink to the edges once they were dry. 


I did cut the large butterfly from Pink Lemonade cs and stamped the matching Blissful Butterflies stamp in Bubblegum Ink. I then spritzed it with the new Sheer Shimmer mist. 

I added in the black from the color combo, with the Art Expression Text Stamp.  I used it without an acrylic block. I inked it up with my Big Pitt marker and then pressed it on my page here and there. 



I added the Dare to Dream stamp, from Dandelion Wishes, along the bottom. I thought it was a beautiful way to start my journal, reminding myself that I can dream and create however I want. 

A few last touches I added were the fabric roses. I picked them up from Stampin' Up! a few months back and thought they'd be pretty with the butterflies.  I sponged the edges with some Bubblegum ink so they would flow with my design better. 

I also added some flicks of Steel Shimmer Mist. I wasn't brave enough to spritz my whole page. I find I have more control if I use a paint brush to add my splatter.  So, I sprayed some into a plastic paint pallet and then I used a paint brush to pick up the mist and then I tapped it a few times to splatter the color across my page. 

I'm so proud of myself for diving in with my new journal. I look forward to filling it up with pretty things! I hope it inspires you to try something new. Have a Great Day!



Pin It
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Lisa! Looks like you had fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So much information! First, I would like to tell you how lovely your page turned out. It's gorgeous! And I really like that bubblegum ink. Thanks for the info. I'll have to put that on my wish list. I'd also like to thank you for the link to the challenge blog. It looks like a fun place to play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty Lisa! I totally thought you tinted the modeling paste. What a cool happy accident!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful art journal page Lisa! I love how your stenciled background took on the pink color and the flicks of shimmer mist looks awesome! I'm so happy you joined along with A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, this page is just GORGEOUS! Your tried so many cool techniques and the results are stunning! LOVE how you made the splatters and your pink modeling paste is FAB! THX for playing with us at A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!!! What a fun journal page! Love the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous inspiration piece! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab job on the mixed media page Lisa, love how you used the colors ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! This is stunning, Lisa! LOVE the tinted acrylic paint and splatters are fantastic...LOVE everything about it! I have to give the mixed media thing another go...since I bought all the stuff, lol! You've inspired me to start in the art journal that I bought!
    Hugs,t

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful, Lisa! Love the subtle pinks and all the wonderful texture! You're off to a great start with your art journal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful journal page. I love your sweet butterflies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty. I love te soft colors of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In middle of mine (gesso & model paste down & silver edges....), thought I'd just double check rules & saw your link....
    Absolutely beautiful, love the splatters (I too do this for same reason or if spray is blocked, lol). Butterflies are gorgeous & the word stamping really pulls it all together! Wonderful journal page :)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous page! Love the branch with the flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your kind and supportive words. I appreciate each of you taking the time to leave some love. Have a great day!